Wednesday, February 25, 2009

RECIPE: A&Z's Gluten-Freed Beer Battered Fish

Source: all recipes

Original Recipe: Beer Battered Fish

Gluten-Freed by A: I started with a highly reviewed recipe from allrecipes.com, so I was already expecting this to be good. I cut the suggested portions in half since it was only going to be for two, and I still had a ton left over. I only ended up using about 1/4 of the batter, so I saved the rest since there is some fish left as well. I think the prep time is a little optimistic, but luckily I wasn't too crushed for time.

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup gluten free beer (Gluten-Freed!!) [We used Bard's]
  • 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 cups gluten free flour (Gluten-Freed!!)
  • 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tbsp. cornstarch
  • garlic salt, to taste
  • lemon pepper, to taste
  • paprika, to taste
  • 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
  • 1 & 1/2 lbs. cod fillets
  • lemon juice
  • tartar sauce
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Mix in beer. Stir in flour mixture. Season with salt and black pepper.
  3. In an electric deep fryer or a heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  4. Coat fish in batter, and submerge in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with tartar sauce.
Total From A to Z: 5 Stars

A's Review: * * * * *
The fish turned out better than I was expecting. Having never done fried fish before, I was experimenting with cooking times and making sure they were just the right shade of golden brown. I also used frozen cod, but I think fresh cod would have been better. They turned out very well and we both kept eating waaaaay past the point of being full.

Z's Review: * * * * *
This beer battered fish was simply awesome! The cooked batter was brown and crunchy and not too oily. It was so very satisfying with a little bit of tartar sauce and some oven-baked french fries. It was also really great to be able to have what is generally a gluten-filled restaurant classic at home and gluten-free!

1 comment:

  1. You "had a ton left over," you say? Perhaps I will come raid your fridge...

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your opinion? Got a question? Please post a comment and we will get back to you as soon as we can!