Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kinnikinnick Foods' Italian White Tapioca Rice Bread

Brand: Kinnikinnick Foods
~ Other reviews of this brand!

Product Name: Italian White Tapioca Rice Bread

Location Purchased: King Sooper's

Cost: $4.79 for frozen loaf


Total From A to Z: 4 Stars

A's Review: * * * *
This is different from bread that is made with wheat, but it is still quite good. It was tender enough to be used in french toast, which is more than we have been able to say for gluten-free bread thus far. It also toasted nicely and was not overly prone to crumbling.

Z's Review: * * * *
Gluten is the elastic protein that holds regular baked goods together, so gluten-free bread is, by definition, not the same texture as "regular" bread. Most gluten-free breads are much denser than "regular" breads, though I must admit that I am nowhere near an expert on gluten-free bread (yet!). But I have to say that this bread came pretty close to the texture of regular bread. I've used it to make grilled cheese sandwiches and french toast (oh the joy of being able to eat those things!) and I really enjoyed both. I've also used this bread for regular toast and it's delicious with nothing more than butter. However, I do have to say that there is something a little bit unusual about the taste and texture of this bread. I don't think I've ever had tapioca before, so maybe that is what I am tasting? Nevertheless, this is the best bread substitute I have found so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your opinion? Got a question? Please post a comment and we will get back to you as soon as we can!