Saturday, January 31, 2009

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Pancake & Waffle Mix

Brand: Trader Joe's
~ Other reviews of this brand!

Product Name: Gluten-Free Pancake & Waffle Mix

Location Purchased: Trader Joe's (why oh why isn't there a Trader Joe's in Colorado?!?)

Cost: $2.99 for 180z bag

Total From A to Z: 4 Stars

A's Review: * * * * *
I made these for breakfast this morning. If you've ever made pancakes before, you know the drill. There is nothing new about prep or cooking. The result is a typical looking pancake that is slightly more dense than its glutenous brethren. This particular mix had vanilla bean ground up in the flour and I caught just a hint of that. One of my pet peeves is bready things that are waaaaay too sweet, unnecessarily so. You cover pancakes with sweet toppings, so why should the pancake itself be sweet on top of all that? The best part about this mix for me was that it was not sweet. Which made the butter and maple syrup all the more enjoyable.

Z's Review: * * *
I thought these pancakes were ok. They were pretty dense - not light or fluffy like regular pancakes - so I'm not sure if I was really a fan of the texture. The flavor was buttery and pretty nice, though I couldn't help feeling like a little something was missing. Maybe I wished they had been sweeter? After I tried them plain (for taste test purposes) I ate the rest with strawberries and whipped cream, which made for an enjoyable weekend brunch. I think these pancakes probably tasted best right off the griddle, which is when they were softest. They seemed to get even denser as they cooled.

1 comment:

  1. These were yummy, especially when drowned with maple syrup, which is how I like all my pancake-like products.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your opinion? Got a question? Please post a comment and we will get back to you as soon as we can!